The Oncology Podcast, brought to you by www.oncologynews.com.au, is proud to present the next episode of The Oncology Journal Club.
Our latest Journal Club episode is hosted by Professor Eva Segelov, from Monash University in Melbourne. She is joined by Dr Craig Underhill from Albury-Wodonga and Professor Hans Prenen from Belgium.
- This week Eva gets us started with a presentation on assessing the value of abiraterone and enzalutamide in advanced prostate cancer.
- Hans interviews Professor Fotios Loupakis exploring “what’s important in BRAF mutated colon cancer” and has the quirky Quick Bites this week.
- And Craig presents a couple of fascinating papers on breast cancer – the first on the monarcHER phase 2 trial on hormone receptor-positive, HER2-positive advanced breast cancer. The second is on the FAST-Forward trial on hypofractionated breast radiotherapy.
We hope you enjoy another entertaining episode of The Oncology Journal Club. As ever, the links to all the papers discussed today are available below.
About The Oncology Journal Club
We have taken an old concept and updated it with a new format. In each episode a team of expert contributors will review topical journal papers and studies presented at key meetings to help keep you informed of the latest developments on the go.
With The Oncology Podcast we are aiming to deliver oncology news differently,” Rachael Babin, Editor-in-Chief, Oncology News.
We hope you enjoy listening and find this a valuable resource. Please let us know what you think!
This Week’s Team:
Professor Eva Segelov
Professor Eva Segelov is a Medical Oncologist and is Director of Oncology at Monash University and Monash Health, Melbourne, Victoria, previously Senior Medical Oncologist at St Vincent’s Hospital, St Vincent’s Private Hospital and St Vincent’s Clinic and Associate Professor of Medicine, University of New South Wales.
Eva has an interest in academic clinical trials in GI and breast cancer and has been a member of the AGITG since 2003. She has clinical trials expertise, links with national and international trials groups, and extensive experience with adult medical education.
Professor Hans Prenen
Professor Hans Prenen is a medical oncologist and head of the phase 1 – early clinical trials unit at the Antwerp University Hospital in Belgium. He is a member of several scientific organisations, published many scientific oncology papers in prestigious journals and is regularly invited for lectures at national and international meetings. His interests are clinical trials and translational research with a focus on digestive oncology.
Dr Craig Underhill
Dr Craig Underhill completed his Bachelor of Medicine and Surgery in 1987 at Melbourne University. He completed medical oncology training in Melbourne and worked as the Senior Clinical Research Registrar at Guy’s Hospital, London.
In 1998 arrived in Albury-Wodonga and established a medical oncology practice and clinical trials unit which has developed expertise and infrastructure to ensure the initiation of high quality trials. The research Unit lead by Dr Underhill has twice been awarded NSW Premier’s Award for Innovation in Cancer Clinical Trials, the inaugural award in 2009 and then again in 2012.
Dr Underhill chaired a working party that was instrumental in securing $65 million in federal funding for The Albury Wodonga Regional Cancer Centre which opened in September 2016.
Dr Underhill is the VCCC Regional Oncology Lead and advocates for the increased access to clinical trials for regional Victorians and leads the VCCC teletrials program.
Professor Fotios Loupakis
Dr Loupakis gained his M.D. Degree (M.D.) at the University of Pisa, Italy, in 2003, followed by the Master of Science in Clinical Trials (M.S.) in 2005, the Specialty in Oncology at the Department of Oncology of the same University in 2007 and the Research Doctorate in Health Biotechnologies (Ph.D.) in 2011. In January 2012 he was Research Fellow at the University of Southern California Keck School of Medicine, Los Angeles, CA – United States.
From 2009 to June 2016 he has worked as Medical Oncologist at the University Hospital Azienda Ospedaliero-Universitaria Pisana (AOUP), Pisa, Italy where he has been Coordinator of the Colorectal Cancer Multidisciplinary Team and Coordinator of the Trials Office of the Unit of Oncology.
In June 2016 he moved to Istituto Oncologico Veneto, IRCCS in Padua as Senior Physician where is Coordinator of the Translational Research program for GI malignancies. Dr. Loupakis’ research field has always focused mainly on colorectal cancer, with particular attention to the transfer of the developments achieved in the field of translational research.
Rachael Babin is Editor-in-Chief of The Oncology Newsletter and Publisher of www.oncologynews.com.au. For regular oncology updates for healthcare professionals, please subscribe to The Oncology Newsletter.
With thanks to Eva Segelov, Craig Underhill, Hans Prenen, Fotios Loupakis and Graham Knowles.
This Week’s Papers:
- Wong, Sarah E et al. “Application of the ASCO Value Framework and ESMO Magnitude of Clinical Benefit Scale to Assess the Value of Abiraterone and Enzalutamide in Advanced Prostate Cancer”. JCO Oncol Pract. 2020;16(2):e201-e210. doi:10.1200/JOP.19.00421
- Tolaney, Sara M et al. “Abemaciclib plus trastuzumab with or without fulvestrant versus trastuzumab plus standard-of-care chemotherapy in women with hormone receptor-positive, HER2-positive advanced breast cancer (monarcHER): a randomised, open-label, phase 2 trial”. The Lancet Oncology, Volume 21, Issue 6, 763 – 775. doi.org/10.1016/S1470-2045(20)30112-1. *Time Stamp: Begins at 12.55 minutes
- Murray Brunt, A et al. “Hypofractionated breast radiotherapy for 1 week versus 3 weeks (FAST-Forward): 5-year efficacy and late normal tissue effects results from a multicentre, non-inferiority, randomised, phase 3 trial”. The Lancet, Volume 395, Issue 10237, 1613 – 1626. doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(20)30932-6
Studies Discussed in Guest Interview with Professor Fotios Loupakis
- Loupakis, Fotios et al. “A Validated Prognostic Classifier for V600E BRAF-mutated Metastatic Colorectal Cancer: The ‘BRAF BeCool’ Study”. Eur J Cancer. 2019;118:121-130. doi:10.1016/j.ejca.2019.06.008
- Kopetz, Scott et al. “Encorafenib plus cetuximab with or without binimetinib for BRAF V600E-mutant metastatic colorectal cancer: Quality-of-life results from a randomized, three-arm, phase III study versus the choice of either irinotecan or FOLFIRI plus cetuximab (BEACON CRC).” Journal of Clinical Oncology 38, no. 4_suppl (February 01, 2020) 8-8. DOI: 10.1200/JCO.2020.38.4_suppl.8
- Cremolini, Chiara et al. “FOLFOXIRI plus bevacizumab versus FOLFIRI plus bevacizumab as first-line treatment of patients with metastatic colorectal cancer: updated overall survival and molecular subgroup analyses of the open-label, phase 3 TRIBE study.” The Lancet Oncology, Volume 16, Issue 13, 1306 – 1315. doi.org/10.1016/S1470-2045(15)00122-9.
Cremolini, Chiara et al. “Updated results of TRIBE2, a phase III, randomized strategy study by GONO in the first- and second-line treatment of unresectable mCRC.” Journal of Clinical Oncology 37, no. 15_suppl (May 20, 2019) 3508-3508. DOI: 10.1200/JCO.2019.37.15_suppl.3508.
- “Personalized Vaccine Induces Antitumor Activity”. From the 2nd virtual meeting of the AACR.
- Yap, Timothy A et al. “Phase I Trial of First-in-Class ATR Inhibitor M6620 (VX-970) as Monotherapy or in Combination With Carboplatin in Patients With Advanced Solid Tumors.” Journal of Clinical Oncology. Published online June 22, 2020. DOI: 10.1200/JCO.19.02404
- Konstantinopoulos, Panagiotis A et a. “Berzosertib plus gemcitabine versus gemcitabine alone in platinum-resistant high-grade serous ovarian cancer: a multicentre, open-label, randomised, phase 2 trial.” The Lancet Oncology, Volume 21, Issue 7, 957 – 968. doi.org/10.1016/S1470-2045(20)30180-7
Kawazoe, Akihito et al. “Lenvatinib plus pembrolizumab in patients with advanced gastric cancer in the first-line or second-line setting (EPOC1706): an open-label, single-arm, phase 2 trial”. The Lancet Oncology, Published:June 23, 2020. doi.org/10.1016/S1470-2045(20)30271-0
Spizzo G et al. “Molecular Profile of BRCA-mutated Biliary Tract Cancers”. ESMO Open. 2020;5(3):e000682. doi:10.1136/esmoopen-2020-000682
Levatinib for advanced hepatocellular carcinoma