The Oncology Journal Club Podcast Episode 42
Welcome to this ‘New York State of Mind’ special episode – the last episode in our ASCO 2021 coverage.
This episode is really special.
Eva Segelov and Craig Underhill are joined by some of our favourite guests – yes its Steve Vogl and Balazs Halmos from New York!
We hope you enjoy listening… drop us a line on Twitter with any comments.
This Week’s Papers:
- Wakelee, H.A., et al. IMpower010: Primary results of a phase III global study of atezolizumab versus best supportive care after adjuvant chemotherapy in resected stage IB-IIIA non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC). J Clin Oncol 39, 2021 (suppl 15; abstr 8500). DOI: 10.1200/JCO.2021.39.15_suppl.8500. Access online here.
- Lipson, E.J., et al. Relatlimab (RELA) plus nivolumab (NIVO) versus NIVO in first-line advanced melanoma: Primary phase III results from RELATIVITY-047 (CA224-047). J Clin Oncol 39, 2021 (suppl 15; abstr 9503). DOI: 10.1200/JCO.2021.39.15_suppl.9503. Access online here.
- Stringer-Reasor, E.M., et al. Trial in progress: A phase 1b/2 study of the PARP inhibitor niraparib in combination with trastuzumab in patients with metastatic HER2+ breast cancer (TBCRC 050). J Clin Oncol 39, 2021 (suppl 15; abstr TPS1098). DOI: 10.1200/JCO.2021.39.15_suppl.TPS1098. Access online here.
- Morris, M.J., et al. Phase III study of lutetium-177-PSMA-617 in patients with metastatic castration-resistant prostate cancer (VISION). J Clin Oncol 39, 2021 (suppl 15; abstr LBA4). DOI: 10.1200/JCO.2021.39.15_suppl.LBA4. Access online here.
- Liefers, G-J., et al. Breast Cancer Index and prediction of benefit from extended endocrine therapy based on treatment compliance: An IDEAL study. J Clin Oncol 39, 2021 (suppl 15; abstr 531) DOI: 10.1200/JCO.2021.39.15_suppl.531. Access online here.
- Xu, R-H., et al. JUPITER-02: Randomized, double-blind, phase III study of toripalimab or placebo plus gemcitabine and cisplatin as first-line treatment for recurrent or metastatic nasopharyngeal carcinoma (NPC). J Clin Oncol 39, 2021 (suppl 15; abstr LBA2). DOI: 10.1200/JCO.2021.39.15_suppl.LBA2. Access online here.
- Zhang, L., et al. Camrelizumab versus placebo combined with gemcitabine and cisplatin for recurrent or metastatic nasopharyngeal carcinoma: A randomized, double-blind, phase 3 trial. J Clin Oncol 39, 2021 (suppl 15; abstr 6000). DOI: 10.1200/JCO.2021.39.15_suppl.6000. Access online here.
- Zhang, L., et al. A multicenter, randomized, double-blind study of gefitinib in combination with anlotinib or placebo in previously untreated patients with EGFR mutation-positive advanced non-small cell lung cancer (FL-ALTER). J Clin Oncol 39, 2021 (suppl 15; abstr TPS9131). DOI: 10.1200/JCO.2021.39.15_suppl.TPS9131. Access online here.
- Choueiri, T.K., et al. Pembrolizumab versus placebo as post-nephrectomy adjuvant therapy for patients with renal cell carcinoma: Randomized, double-blind, phase III KEYNOTE-564 study. J Clin Oncol 39, 2021 (suppl 15; abstr LBA5). DOI: 10.1200/JCO.2021.39.15_suppl.LBA5. Access online here.
- Griggs, J.J., et al.Effects of Structural Racism on the Oncology Workforce: Propagating the Problem. Access online here.
This Week’s Team:
Professor Eva Segelov
Professor Eva Segelov is a Medical Oncologist and is Director of Oncology at Monash University and Monash Health, Melbourne, Victoria, previously Senior Medical Oncologist at St Vincent’s Hospital, St Vincent’s Private Hospital and St Vincent’s Clinic and Associate Professor of Medicine, University of New South Wales.
Eva has an interest in academic clinical trials in GI and breast cancer and has been a member of the AGITG since 2003. She has clinical trials expertise, links with national and international trials groups, and extensive experience with adult medical education.
You can find Eva on Twitter here: @profevasegelov
Dr Craig Underhill
Dr Craig Underhill completed his Bachelor of Medicine and Surgery in 1987 at Melbourne University. He completed medical oncology training in Melbourne and worked as the Senior Clinical Research Registrar at Guy’s Hospital, London.
In 1998 arrived in Albury-Wodonga and established a medical oncology practice and clinical trials unit which has developed expertise and infrastructure to ensure the initiation of high quality trials. The research Unit lead by Dr Underhill has twice been awarded NSW Premier’s Award for Innovation in Cancer Clinical Trials, the inaugural award in 2009 and then again in 2012.
Dr Underhill chaired a working party that was instrumental in securing $65 million in federal funding for The Albury Wodonga Regional Cancer Centre which opened in September 2016.
Dr Underhill is the VCCC Regional Oncology Lead and advocates for the increased access to clinical trials for regional Victorians and leads the VCCC teletrials program.
You can find Craig on Twitter here: @CraigUnderhill
Dr Steve Vogl
Steven Vogl is a medical oncologist in private practice in the Bronx, New York. He pays attention at meetings and occasionally asks a question.
You can find Steve on Twitter here: @VoglNY
Balazs Halmos, MD received his medical degree from Semmelweis University in Budapest, Hungary. He completed an internal medicine residency program at St.Luke’s-Roosevelt Hospital/Columbia University in New York City followed by a hematology/oncology fellowship program at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center/Harvard Medical School in Boston, Massaschuestts.
While in Dr. Halmos, also obtained an MS degree in Clinical Sciences from Harvard Medical School. Since completion of his fellowship, he has been a faculty member at Harvard, Case Western Reserve University and most recently an Associate Professor of Medicine at Columbia University Medical Center in New York. There he served as Director of Thoracic Oncology from 2009-2014 and was also Chair of the Cancer IRB.
Dr. Halmos also oversees the thoracic clinical trials program of novel clinical studies at the Montefiore Albert Einstein Cancer Center and is spearheading the effort to develop a molecular testing paradigm for cancer patients managed within the Montefiore to facilitate a personalized cancer medicine approach throughout the health system.
You can find Balazs on Twitter here: @DrSteveMartin
Rachael Babin is Editor-in-Chief of The Oncology Newsletter, Publisher of Oncology News Host of The Oncology Podcast and Producer of The Oncology Journal Club. For regular oncology updates for healthcare professionals, please subscribe to The Oncology Newsletter.
With thanks to Craig Underhill, Gilberto Lopes, Mel Moore and Graham Knowles.
Connect with us on Twitter @OncologyNewsAus #OJC