The Oncology Journal Club Podcast Episode 38
In today’s special ASCO 2021 episode Craig Underhill talks to Lisa Horvath and Craig Gedye about all things GU cancer. It’s a thorough and entertaining discussion covering practice changing developments and controversial trials.
We hope you enjoy listening… drop us a line on Twitter with any comments.
This Week’s Papers:
- Fizazi, K., et al. A phase 3 trial with a 2×2 factorial design of abiraterone acetate plus prednisone and/or local radiotherapy in men with de novo metastatic castration-sensitive prostate cancer (mCSPC): First results of PEACE-1. J Clin Oncol 39, 2021 (suppl 15; abstr 5000). DOI: 10.1200/JCO.2021.39.15_suppl.5000. Access online here.
- Grist, E., et al. Copy number profiles of primary tumors for risk stratification of advanced prostate cancer: A biomarker study embedded in the multicenter STAMPEDE trial. J Clin Oncol 39, 2021 (suppl 15; abstr 5021). DOI: 10.1200/JCO.2021.39.15_suppl.5021. Access online here.
- Gillessen, S., et al. Decreased fracture rate by mandating bone protecting agents in the EORTC 1333/PEACEIII trial combining Ra223 with enzalutamide versus enzalutamide alone: An updated safety analysis. J Clin Oncol 39, 2021 (suppl 15; abstr 5002). DOI: 10.1200/JCO.2021.39.15_suppl.5002. Access online here.
- Agarwal, N., et al. SWOG S1216: A phase III randomized trial comparing androgen deprivation therapy (ADT) plus TAK-700 with ADT plus bicalutamide in patients (pts) with newly diagnosed metastatic hormone-sensitive prostate cancer (mHSPC) (NCT01809691). J Clin Oncol 39, 2021 (suppl 15; abstr 5001). DOI: 10.1200/JCO.2021.39.15_suppl.5001. Access online here.
- Morris, M.J., et al. Phase III study of lutetium-177-PSMA-617 in patients with metastatic castration-resistant prostate cancer (VISION). J Clin Oncol 39, 2021 (suppl 15; abstr LBA4). DOI: 10.1200/JCO.2021.39.15_suppl.LBA4. Access online here.
- From 2019: Hofman, M., et al. TheraP: A randomized phase II trial of [177Lu]-PSMA-617 theranostic versus cabazitaxel in progressive metastatic castration-resistant prostate cancer. J Clin Oncol 37, 2019 (suppl 7S; abstr TPS332). DOI: 10.1200/JCO.2019.37.7_suppl.TPS332. Access online here.
- Choueiri, T.K., et al. Pembrolizumab versus placebo as post-nephrectomy adjuvant therapy for patients with renal cell carcinoma: Randomized, double-blind, phase III KEYNOTE-564 study. J Clin Oncol 39, 2021 (suppl 15; abstr LBA5). DOI: 10.1200/JCO.2021.39.15_suppl.LBA5. Access online here.
- Lee, CH., et al. Nivolumab plus cabozantinib in patients with non-clear cell renal cell carcinoma: Results of a phase 2 trial. DOI: 10.1200/JCO.2021.39.15_suppl.4509 Journal of Clinical Oncology 39, no. 15_suppl (May 20, 2021) 4509-4509. Access online here.
- Pal. S.K., et al. A randomized phase II study comparing cisplatin and gemcitabine with or without berzosertib in patients with advanced urothelial carcinoma. J Clin Oncol 39, 2021 (suppl 15; abstr 4507) DOI: 10.1200/JCO.2021.39.15_suppl.4507. Access online here.
- O’Donnell, P.H., et al. First-line pembrolizumab (pembro) in cisplatin-ineligible patients with advanced urothelial cancer (UC): Response and survival results up to five years from the KEYNOTE-052 phase 2 study. J Clin Oncol 39, 2021 (suppl 15; abstr 4508). DOI: 10.1200/JCO.2021.39.15_suppl.4508. Access online here.
This Week’s Team:
Dr Craig Underhill
Dr Craig Underhill completed his Bachelor of Medicine and Surgery in 1987 at Melbourne University. He completed medical oncology training in Melbourne and worked as the Senior Clinical Research Registrar at Guy’s Hospital, London.
In 1998 arrived in Albury-Wodonga and established a medical oncology practice and clinical trials unit which has developed expertise and infrastructure to ensure the initiation of high quality trials. The research Unit lead by Dr Underhill has twice been awarded NSW Premier’s Award for Innovation in Cancer Clinical Trials, the inaugural award in 2009 and then again in 2012.
Dr Underhill chaired a working party that was instrumental in securing $65 million in federal funding for The Albury Wodonga Regional Cancer Centre which opened in September 2016.
Dr Underhill is the VCCC Regional Oncology Lead and advocates for the increased access to clinical trials for regional Victorians and leads the VCCC teletrials program.
You can find Craig on Twitter here: @CraigUnderhill
Professor Lisa Horvath
Lisa is the Director of Research at Chris O’Brien Lifehouse. She completed medical school at the University of Sydney and trained in medical oncology at Royal Prince Alfred Hospital, where she was appointed to the senior staff in 2003. She completed her PhD in translational research at the Garvan Institute of Medical Research in 2004.
Lisa’s research interest is predominantly in the field of prostate cancer. She is involved with a large number of clinical trials in prostate and colorectal cancers.
Lisa holds academic appointments at both the University of Sydney and the University of New South Wales and is the head of Prostate Cancer Therapeutics at The Kinghorn Cancer Centre/Garvan Institute of Medical Research. She is the conjoint chair of Medical Oncology (Genitourinal Cancers) at Lifehouse.
Lisa has published more than 50 original research papers published in peer-reviewed journals in the last 14 years. She has presented extensively at national and international meetings both peer-reviewed and invited presentations.
Associate Professor Craig Gedye
Craig Gedye is a medical oncologist and cancer researcher. He works for people with melanoma, brain, prostate, bladder and kidney cancers at the Calvary Mater Newcastle and is the Clinical Research Director at the NSW Health Statewide Biobank.
His research in the School of Medicine and Public Health at the University of Newcastle/Hunter Medical Research Institute focuses on complexity and heterogeneity in cancer – why are cancers different between different people; why are cancers cells different to each other; what does this mean for each person’s treatment?
Craig is leading several national cancer clinical trials for the ANZUP and COGNO trials groups, and is a member of the Mark Hughes Scientific Advisory Committee, HNEHLD Clinical Trials Ethics Subcommittee and ANZUP Cancer Trials Scientific Advisory Committee.
Find Craig on Twitter here: @DrCraigGedye
Rachael Babin is Editor-in-Chief of The Oncology Newsletter, Publisher of Oncology News Host of The Oncology Podcast and Producer of The Oncology Journal Club. For regular oncology updates for healthcare professionals, please subscribe to The Oncology Newsletter.
With thanks to Craig Underhill, Gilberto Lopes, Mel Moore and Graham Knowles.
Connect with us on Twitter @OncologyNewsAus #OJC