The Oncology Journal Club Episode 47: Fake Cancer News and Conflicts of Interest
This week Eva Segelov talks us through a practice changing paper on the duration of adjuvant aromatase-inhibitor therapy in postmenopausal breast cancer. Craig Underhill looks at the KEYNOTE-598 study on metastatic non-small-cell lung cancer aaaaand Hans Prenen is back! He tackles the therapeutic implications of germline testing in advanced cancers.
Quick bites are as diverse as ever covering the NeoSCOPE trial, text messaging, cancer misinformation and fake news, conflicts of interest, liquid biopsies and much more.
We hope you enjoy listening… drop us a line on Twitter with any comments @oncologynewsaus
This Week’s Papers:
- Boyer M, et al; Pembrolizumab Plus Ipilimumab or Placebo for Metastatic Non-Small-Cell Lung Cancer With PD-L1 Tumor Proportion Score ≥ 50%: Randomized, Double-Blind Phase III KEYNOTE-598 Study. J Clin Oncol. 2021 Jul 20;39(21):2327-2338. doi: 10.1200/JCO.20.03579. Epub 2021 Jan 29. PMID: 33513313. Access online here.
- Remon J, et al. Paving the Way for Long-Term Survival in Non-Small-Cell Lung Cancer. J Clin Oncol. 2021 Jul 20;39(21):2321-2323. doi: 10.1200/JCO.21.00760. Epub 2021 Jun 8. PMID: 34101497. Access online here.
- Stadler ZK, et al. Therapeutic Implications of Germline Testing in Patients With Advanced Cancers. J Clin Oncol. 2021 Jun 16:JCO2003661. doi: 10.1200/JCO.20.03661. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 34133209. Access online here.
- Gnant, M, et al. Duration of Adjuvant Aromatase-Inhibitor Therapy in Postmenopausal Breast Cancer. N Engl J Med 2021; 385:395-405. DOI: 10.1056/NEJMoa2104162. Access online here.
This Week’s Quick Bites:
- Osumi H, et al. NeoRAS wild-type in metastatic colorectal cancer: Myth or truth?-Case series and review of the literature. Eur J Cancer. 2021 Aug;153:86-95. doi: 10.1016/j.ejca.2021.05.010. Epub 2021 Jun 18. PMID: 34153718. Access online here.
- Mukherjee S, et al. Oxaliplatin/capecitabine or carboplatin/paclitaxel-based preoperative chemoradiation for resectable oesophageal adenocarcinoma (NeoSCOPE): Long-term results of a randomised controlled trial. Eur J Cancer. 2021 Aug;153:153-161. doi: 10.1016/j.ejca.2021.05.020. Epub 2021 Jun 20. PMID: 34157617. Access online here.
- Thiwanka Wijeratne, D., et al. Text Messaging in Cancer-Supportive Care: A Systematic Review. Cancers 2021, 13(14), 3542; Access online here.
- Skyler B Johnson, S.B., et al. Cancer Misinformation and Harmful Information on Facebook and Other Social Media: A Brief Report, JNCI: Journal of the National Cancer Institute, 2021;, djab141, Access online here.
- Sharma S, et al. Do Editorialists With Industry-Related Conflicts of Interest Write Unduly Favorable Editorials for Cancer Drugs in Top Journals? J Natl Compr Canc Netw. 2021 Jul 29:jnccn20459. doi: 10.6004/jnccn.2021.7016. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 34325401. Access online here.
- Cohen, R. et al. Combining tumor deposits with the number of lymph node metastases to improve the prognostic accuracy in stage III colon cancer: a post hoc analysis of the CALGB/SWOG 80702 phase III study (Alliance). Annals of Oncology, Published: July 19, 2021. DOI: Access online here.
- Skinner H, et al. Addition of Metformin to Concurrent Chemoradiation in Patients With Locally Advanced Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer: The NRG-LU001 Phase 2 Randomized Clinical Trial. JAMA Oncol. 2021 Jul 29. doi: 10.1001/jamaoncol.2021.2318. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 34323922. Access online here.
- Rolfo C, et al. Liquid Biopsy for Advanced Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer: A Consensus Statement from The International Association for the Study of Lung Cancer (IASLC), Journal of Thoracic Oncology (2021), doi: Access online here.
- Halmos, Balazs et al. Pembrolizumab+chemotherapy versus atezolizumab+chemotherapy+/−bevacizumab for the first-line treatment of non-squamous NSCLC: A matching-adjusted indirect comparison. Lung Cancer, Volume 155, 175 – 182. Access online here.
- Mangione, S. et al. Virchow at 200 and Lown at 100 — Physicians as Activists. N Engl J Med 2021; 385:291-293. DOI: 10.1056/NEJMp2103050. Access online here.
Amazing Article of the Week:
Rangel EL, et al. Incidence of Infertility and Pregnancy Complications in US Female Surgeons. JAMA Surg. Published online July 28, 2021. doi:10.1001/jamasurg.2021.3301. Access online here.
Other Episodes Mentioned:
This Week’s Team:
Professor Eva Segelov
Professor Eva Segelov is a Medical Oncologist and is Director of Oncology at Monash University and Monash Health, Melbourne, Victoria, previously Senior Medical Oncologist at St Vincent’s Hospital, St Vincent’s Private Hospital and St Vincent’s Clinic and Associate Professor of Medicine, University of New South Wales.
Eva has an interest in academic clinical trials in GI and breast cancer and has been a member of the AGITG since 2003. She has clinical trials expertise, links with national and international trials groups, and extensive experience with adult medical education.
You can find Eva on Twitter here: @profevasegelov
Professor Hans Prenen
Professor Hans Prenen is a medical oncologist and head of the phase 1 – early clinical trials unit at the Antwerp University Hospital in Belgium. He is a member of several scientific organisations, published many scientific oncology papers in prestigious journals and is regularly invited for lectures at national and international meetings. His interests are clinical trials and translational research with a focus on digestive oncology.
You can find Hans on Twitter here: @HPrenen
Dr Craig Underhill
Dr Craig Underhill completed his Bachelor of Medicine and Surgery in 1987 at Melbourne University. He completed medical oncology training in Melbourne and worked as the Senior Clinical Research Registrar at Guy’s Hospital, London.
In 1998 arrived in Albury-Wodonga and established a medical oncology practice and clinical trials unit which has developed expertise and infrastructure to ensure the initiation of high quality trials. The research Unit lead by Dr Underhill has twice been awarded NSW Premier’s Award for Innovation in Cancer Clinical Trials, the inaugural award in 2009 and then again in 2012.
Dr Underhill chaired a working party that was instrumental in securing $65 million in federal funding for The Albury Wodonga Regional Cancer Centre which opened in September 2016.
Dr Underhill is the VCCC Regional Oncology Lead and advocates for the increased access to clinical trials for regional Victorians and leads the VCCC teletrials program.
You can find Craig on Twitter here: @CraigUnderhill
Rachael Babin is Editor-in-Chief of The Oncology Newsletter, Publisher of Oncology News Host of The Oncology Podcast and Producer of The Oncology Journal Club. For regular oncology updates for healthcare professionals, please subscribe to The Oncology Newsletter.
With thanks to Eva Segelov, Craig Underhill, Hans Prenen, Kristi Milley and Graham Knowles.
Connect with us on Twitter @OncologyNewsAus